Thursday, July 31, 2008

Moscow, I think....

Hi Everyone-

Well, we are here. It was very very hard to get here and I am soo soo soo tired but we made it and are officially in Moscow- or so I hear- I havent actually been outside yet.

So, you know how everyone says, "dont worry if your baby crys on the plane- you will never see these people again". Well, that may be true but try staring down 200 angry, grumpy Siberians while your 2 yr old screams like he is being tortured for 35 minutes during landing. Poor Orange- they both did GREAT on the first part of the flight- no problem with take off (thanks to lollipops- shhh) and for most of the flight. Apple was awesome the whole time but Orange had a couple meltdowns along the way. In anticipation of the jaw dropping, cant believe someone who weighs 32 lbs could make this much noise for this long, screams of deathly pain sound less horrible, complete and total breakdown he had for the last 1/2 hour of the trip. We tried everything- and everyone was staring at us and "tsk tsk"ing us and I just wanted to yell at them all. Of course, weirdly, Apple slept through it all as she had fallen asleep about 45 minutes prior to this, even though she was 2 feet away. But we got payback for that later- read on.

Anyway, so once we finally got off the plane and made it through baggage etc and the babies had calmed down we walked for about 1/2 mile (I swear) with the luggage and the babies etc to get where our driver had left his car. Ugh. But thank god for the strollers- they are worth their weight in cold. I think had we not had them I would be sitting in the DME airport crying right now with 2 sad babies because we never would have made it. Then our driver, who spoke no English (which is weird for our agency and highly annoying to me last night- i know, I am entitled and bad etc etc etc but at 1am with 2 kids who are crying and it is late and you are hungry and tired and dirty and when you are expecting someone who does understand you it is hard), couldnt find our apartment- so we drove around. Orange had another fit- which culminated in him completely blowing out his diaper all over poor Aaron - he was just so past tired and so upset and had to go and the diap couldnt hack it. Poor Orange and poor Aaron!! It was almost funny at the time- we were so tired and out of it.

Then on to the super expensive apartment- which we finally found at 1am Moscow time (4am Novo time). It is fine- not as nice as the Novo one, and three times the money, but fine. The kids were so worked up we decided to bring their mattresses into our room. It still took absolutely hours to get them down. Orange went around 3am and Apple at 5:30am- just in time for me to get up at 5:50am - for the Embassy doctor who was supposed to come at 6am to check the babies for their immigration papers. But, guess what- it is 7am and no doctor yet!! Thank god i didnt wake the babies - I had decided that Apple needs as much sleep as she can get (both do, but she way behind) but Mama and Papa are the furthest behind- of course. This whole parenting thing takes some getting used to! I am not familiar with multiple days of no sleep, no food (because I am busy making them toddler food and it seems to hard to make more for us) and travel. Ugh. We are SO ready to be home so we can get them on a schedule and work on the sleep issues and get our lives back to normal- the new normal!

So we are here- YAY! but so tired I can barely function, need to go find a grocery because we have very little to feed the babies for breakfast but tied to the apartment to wait for this dumb doctor to come. I am beyond cranky at this point but I am sure we will survive.

Thanks for reading to my ranty post- I will be better next time. Lets just be glad at least we are in Moscow!

Love,
Us

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear you are so tired! That’s an understatement I am sure! Those crack of dawn Dr. visits are crazy huh! I hope you guys can get a really good nap in today!

Take care, thinking of you in rainy Seattle.... It is still summer right? :)

Erica

PS are you going to post some pics? :)

Anonymous said...

Oh sweeties! You are doing great Mom and Dad! I'm still just so happy that the children are safely with you...

I know this must be difficult, but when I had Will I cried everyday, I think 3 times a day for at least the first 4 weeks, and had very little sleep... Thank goodness I wasn't traveling though. You guys are heros! and I don't mean guitar heros. :)

Love to you all! xo-jane

kelly said...

I'm glad you finally made it to Moscow! Hopefully that Dr. will show & eveyone can eat & have a super nap! You're 1 step closer to home :-)

Anonymous said...

You have to be so tired. Try doing something for yourselves. Give Aaron a 30 minute break to walk around, read somewhere, go eat. Then trade. Even if you are very tired, having 30 minutes by yourself to collect yourself can be such a relief.

Call your sister or best friend or hire a nanny and let them know that you will need them for the first two weeks when you are home. While they adjust to their schedule there will be days when Apple and Orange sleep at completely different times... which means you won't sleep unless someone else is there. Good luck!

Congratulations! You are almost home!

Anonymous said...

Oh poor sweetie...I'm so sorry!!

You're almost home...just keep thinking of the light at the end of the tunnel.

Good luck, and I can't wait to hear more about your adventures - I love reading up on your progress!!

Love,
Christine