Monday, October 6, 2008

What is in a name??

Hey All-

Can't believe it has been 6 days since I posted- it has obviously been busy. Work is just super busy- for which I am thankful - and the kids are busy so...

Anyway, I have a serious issue today. As you know we decided to keep our kids original names- Anastasia and Alexander. We felt this was best for several reasons and are happy with that decision. BUT, we hit a huge snag last week regarding Sasha (Alexander). Apparently in Russia they spelled his name wrong on the paperwork- Aleksandr. They told us at the time that this was fine, normal and would all be translated into Alexander here in the US. We believed them. Our tickets home said Alexander and all was fine, no one blinked that it didnt match his adoption decree or Russian passport.

So, we get home and wait for the Certificate of Citizenships - the document that makes it possible to get a US passport, SSN etc. Ana's comes right away- they have a 45 day window to get it to you after you land in the US and your child becomes a citizen. So, hers is here but no sign of Sasha's. We started to worry a couple weeks ago because we need US passports to take the kids to Mexico next month- a trip already booked. Well, we FINALLY Received his last week (it had gone to a totally wrong address- scarey!) and had finally been routed to us. Guess how his name was spelled??? Aleksandr!!!! This is a huge problem because this is not his name -- Alexander is his name, and it is a big deal to me!!! Because we are in such a hurry to get his passport etc though we have been advised (and started process of) getting it all in this dumb wrong name and then we will have to change it with our re-adoption in WA State. This is crazy, will cost us an additional couple grand in paperwork changes down the road and has me sooooo mad I cant even tell you.

Aaron doesnt see it as such a big deal- he thinks this spelling is "cool" and that maybe we should keep it. Well, hell no- it is sort of annoying to me that (okay, really annoying) that we didnt get to name our children the first time around and I will be damned if I am going to live with a spelling dictated by some dumb clerk.

I personally hold the court translator responsible. She is the one that spelled it wrong in the first place and that is what got this all started. UGH!

And, guess what the name on his Alaska ticket to Mexico is...Alexander. So now I have to try to get them to change that so it matches- which is never fun or easy. I guess I will have to go downtown or to the airport to do that as they wont do it on the phone, and maybe not at all- some rule about changing the name. Umm, he is 2, how much of a big deal does this have to be?? I am MAD!!!

Anyway, that is my issue this week.

On a lighter note, here are some adorable pics of Ana from yesterday- she was wearing her new coat (faux of course) and was so in love with it that she would not take it off. I would say she is channelling Queen Markell for sure- calculator, fur and a tiara. She coulnt be more like Mom if she tried. :)




That is all for now!

SKB

2 comments:

Waiting42 said...

Dare I say it? Sounds like you have been WACAPed once again.

Erica H said...

Uhhh, I know ALL to well about the name issue with tickets! We had to pay $1500 MORE for Garret's ticket to Russia because they wouldn’t change it to Alexander. We haven’t changed his name legally yet so it had to match his passport. Good luck, I hope they change it for you.

I have seen Alexandr spelled that way before. Many times actually. Weird. In fact I would have to look through Garret's stuff but I think some things had it spelled that way on it. But when his US citizen papers came, they were correct.

I don’t blame you though, I would want it all changed. In the long run it will be easier to have everything match. My first child’s BC had my maiden name spelled incorrectly on it. I didn’t care at the time but when we went to adopt Garret, I had to have it redone for Russia. Why they needed my kids BC's anyway is beyond me.