Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Time for school, already???

Hi Everyone-

Busy busy week- sorry.

So, the lame news is that we found out yesterday that Sasha does have to get his tonsils and adneoids out- and soon. They usually try to wait until they are 3 to do this because apparently it is safer but they dont want to wait that long because they are so big they are concerned that it is over affecting his sleep (it is!), his eating (not sure about this) and his general health. So, my baby has to STAY OVERNIGHT at Children's Hospital and get them out. We dont have it scheduled yet- we are waiting on one more consult but my guess is it will happen in early October. Yikes!!! I am scared and I hate hospitals (serious understatement) and he is so little and cute- I am freaking just thinking about him in the big horrible hospital bed. He doesnt like beds- he sleeps on the floor in a nest of blankets - they arent gonna allow that for sure...

They better let me or Aaron stay with him all night- that is for sure. Hopefully because it is a Children's Hospital they are used to crazy parents but I am not sure they have seen my level of mama-bear ness yet. And dont get me started on general aenestethia (sp?) and how I feel about that. Ugh, I feel sick just thinking about this. On to happier subjects.

Ana informed us a couple of weeks ago that it is time for her to go to school. She has brought it up time and time again since then. She is so serious and grown up sometimes it kills me- it is cute and at the same time very disconcerting and sad because a 3.8 year old should not be like that really. But, after some careful discussion, thought and observing how she does in groups of kids we realize that she is right. She is very social and she thrives on talking and playing with other kids- her little brother is a fine playmate, but at the end of the day he is still just a little brother. Also, her English has grown by leaps and bounds recently and can read along with simple books (Brown Bear for example). So, after lots of research we have settled on a 3 morning a week program at a preschool near our house. She went this morning for a tour and a teacher meeting and she did not want to leave- she was having such a great time. They liked her too. So, it looks as if very soon (as in next week) she will be enrolled M/W/F in a morning program. We are giving it a month trial and will see how it pans out. Hopefully it will be great all around. And that means Papa and Sasha will have quality one on one time 3 times a week which will be good too as he is still a baby in many ways and will love the extra attention.

I will keep you posted. :) I am not sure how much longer I will blog as honestly I think no one reads it anymore (totally fine, I know the adoption part is basically over and that was the draw) but I hate to think about talking to an empty room so to speak. I expect I will do it for another month maybe... who knows.

SKB

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm reading from Canada. Don't stop blogging!!

kelly said...

I'm reading from Texas & love hearing about the kiddos & their transition!

Anonymous said...

I am reading from Missouri! I love to hear that the kids are doing great with the transition.

Lorie

Anonymous said...

I still read! :) I have been seriously lazy about my own blog but I love to keep up on you and the kiddo's!

Erica

Anonymous said...

I'm reading from PA, dumbass.
(It's okay, I'm her sister, I can say that.) So, don't stop blogging just yet.
Poor Sasha.. he'll be fine, I know it. Can they bring a stuffed animal with them? And the general anesthesia will be fine. Don't worry! They've come a long way with all that crap! That's cool about Ana's school, sounds like that will work out. Exciting!! How's Aga? Maybe she should blog if you get busy. Wouldn't that be adorable, a dog blogging about her two new kids? Love you.

Waiting42 said...

Don't worry about the overnight stay. You will be there. You have to stay with a child in the hospital every minute. If you leave them, social services steps in for neglect and abandonment.

He will be ready to eat and play long before he is supposed to. The first night will be fine because the medication should keep him sleepy--save vomitting. The second night will be tough.

Anonymous said...

I'm reading from Maryland...........enjoy reading what I went through two years ago......!

Anonymous said...

Children's is awesome. You get to stay with him, the furniture etc is scaled for kids and they have seen some seriously psycho mammas there...

My best friend's son has had three surgeries there to correct club feet and they are amazing. It's so geared toward kids and doesn't function like a normal hospital in terms of patient care.

Hang in there - Kathi

Anonymous said...

I read your blog every day! Don't stop yet!
Andrea

Kim Abraham - Mom to the Fabulous Five! said...

I'm still reading from Tennessee!