Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Their first election day!



Hi Everybody!


So, of course yesterday was the kiddos very first election day. They went to dance class per usual and then Papa took them to vote! I had alreay voted absentee but Aaron still goes down to the polling place and he took the kids. Apparently they did very well (though Ana disagreed with Papa's/Mama's choice of candidate- I told you she was channelling Markell). Anyway, it is was a very exciting event for them and I was thrilled that they got to be here for such a historic election. This is one people wont forget and it will help ground them in their American history when they say "I remember when Obama was elected, I was little and brand new to the States" when they are old and gray.

Isnt the above pic the cutest of all time. It is one of the Becky photos and I love it! All of the pics are so cute it will be hard to decide what goes on the Xmas card but I have a feeling this one will be part of the final design!
This past Sunday was Will's Christening and party so we all went up to Bellingham for that. The church service was LONG but the kids were total troopers and got to leave before communion which was good because it just dragged on and on and on after that- the new priest at St Paul's is quite a talker! We had a great party at Poppy's after that and everything went well - good food, lots of people and everyone had fun I think.
Both kids are doing well. They are totally having a language explosion and really funny. It is hard to remember sometimes that they now understand most (if not all) of everything we say and I am often suprised when one of them pipes up in the middle of the conversation. We have had to start spelling words like "cookie" and "park" when we are talking about them so that we dont get them too excited- makes me feel very 'mommy' and is cool.
I am a bit concerned about Sasha's attachment to me- he seems to be pulling away from me which is not good. I know it is because I am not there all the time but I am still trying to figure out how to deal with that. I have special snuggle time with Ana which is great and totally helping her attach to me but right now Sasha doesnt have the same special time- I need to figure out a way to get it in there but everytime I try he is totally uninterested in the idea and wont sit still, let alone snuggle and let me sing to him. Any ideas? I have high hopes that spending lots and lots of time with him in Mexico will help and plan on doing just that. I know it is a process but I am just nervous that it is going the wrong way with him- he seems interested soley in Aaron and even that is teneous I think. I guess we shall just keep trying and see where that leads us. I am wondering how young is too young for attachment therapy - any ideas on that one? I think he is too young but maybe I am wrong. I just want him to be happy and healthy and I think being firmly attached is pretty important for that. Maybe I am overthinking it....
SKB

2 comments:

Erica H said...

Gorgeous picture! Little boys can be a challenge to snuggle with sometimes! I would try feeding him special treats with him sitting face to face. Maybe with him sitting on the kitchen counter. I also (I know this sounds gross) let me little ones eat from my mouth. I put the treat in my teeth and they come get it. They LOVE this! It is great for eye contact and it’s like kissing. You can also try messaging him with really good smelling kid’s lotions. Maybe even the kid sparkly ones from Bath and Body works. If he won’t lie still for that you can start with his hands and feet again maybe on the counter so he can’t wiggle away.

Just a few that come to mind that we do. I think it is ok, I have noticed that the bonding process ebbs and flows and sometimes they do start to favor one parent over the other for while.

Mexico will be great! I wish I could go! Hum, need a nanny? ;)

erica h

PS I finally started a family blog to replace our adoption blog

www.huberhandful.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

So cute!!
2 year old boys are extremely wiggly in general! Try snuggling up to him on the sofa as soon as he wakes up or before going to bed whilst watching his favourite children's tv program and with him drinking warm milk from a bottle/sippy cup.
Also a nice warm bubble bath together with a few toys works wonders!
All the best,

Debbie in Canada